Options for Victims/Survivors of Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence

Conduct constituting a sexual offense, sexual harassment, relationship violence, stalking, unwanted advances, indecent exposure or any other incident of a sexual nature that creates a hostile environment (subjective to the person[s] affected) will not be tolerated. Students committing sexual or physical offenses in any form can be prosecuted under the Washington State Criminal Code (Title 9A RCW) and/or disciplined under the Student Conduct Code (WAC 478-120). If you are a victim/survivor of sexual harassment, you should notify your Resident Adviser (RA) immediately so that he or she can provide assistance and/or connect you with additional resources. If you are the victim/survivor of sexual assault, there are resources available on and off campus to help you. Some of your options are:

UW Sexual Assault Webpage

For UW resources, please visit www.washington.edu/sexualassault.

Call the Police at 911

If you are assaulted on campus, the UW Police Department (UWPD) will work with you to explore your options. If you are assaulted off campus, Seattle Police will take your report. Reporting incidents to the police is encouraged regardless of the availability of evidence. You may request that your personal information on the report be kept confidential. In some cases under Washington state law, the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office may choose to file charges and pursue prosecution without your consent.

Seek Medical Attention

Not all injuries are readily apparent, and while the best evidence is obtained immediately after an incident, forensic evidence may be collected up to 72 hours later. Tests to detect sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy may be performed, and emergency contraception may be made available. Additionally, if you suspect that you were given a sedating substance, a urine test can be performed up to 72 hours following ingestion.

Connect with Resources

Call the Counseling Center

Psychologists and counselors are available all year to work with currently enrolled students. The Counseling Center is located in Schmitz Hall 401.

Phone: 206-543-1240


Call a Resident Adviser or Resident Director

Resident Directors and Resident Advisers can provide you with resources and support.


Call a Friend

Call a friend or someone else you trust for support.


Call Health and Wellness

Health & Wellness offers confidential advocacy and support for students impacted by sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, sexual harassment and other related experiences. A Health & Wellness Advocate is available to meet with students and help them understand their rights and options for reporting both on campus and in the larger community as well as assist with connecting to resources, academic advocacy, and safety planning. Health & Wellness is safe and confidential starting point for University of Washington students affected by these issues.

Phone: 206-543-6085

Email: hwadvoc@uw.edu

Website: https://depts.washington.edu/livewell/


Call Safe Campus

The Safe Campus website provides information on counseling and safety resources, University Policies, and violence reporting requirements that help us maintain a safe personal, work, and learning environment. 

Phone: 206-685-7233

Website: https://www.washington.edu/safecampus


Call the Title IX Investigation Office

The Title IX Investigation Office is able to speak with you if you wish to report allegations of student sexual misconduct to determine whether an investigation into the conduct may be appropriate. If an investigation is appropriate, the Title IX Investigation Office also may issue a No Contact Order. The office is not confidential.

Phone: 206-616-2028 or 206-616-5334

Website: https://compliance.uw.edu/investigation