Resources for Victims of Bias-related Conduct

Bias-related conduct is behavior that by intent, action and/or outcome may offend, harm or threaten to harm a person or group. Such behavior is usually motivated by prejudice toward a person or group because of factors such as race, religion, ethnicity, disability, national origin, age, gender or sexual orientation.

Some bias-related conduct comes in the form of speech that can appear to be offensive, derogatory or demeaning. Although these and other expressions betray the UW’s ideal of a campus community committed to honor and respect, the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution may protect expressions of this nature. Regardless of whether or not a specific situation is punishable, acts of bias should be appropriately addressed. In the absence of a disciplinary procedure, an educational response may be warranted.

All members of the UW community should be familiar with the UW's policies regarding discrimination and harassment.

If You Experience a Bias-Related Incident

If you have experienced a bias-related incident, the best thing that you can do is to report it. Talking about what happened can be difficult, but it is our hope that you will contact someone who is prepared to assist you. Your willingness to identify and discuss an incident may help you and, at the same time, prevent other students from experiencing similar treatment. Some incidents of bias-related conduct may be addressed through formal disciplinary action. Others might be subject to protection under the provision of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. All such incidents should be addressed in an educational manner.


The following UW offices offer support and confidential assistance:

Residential Life Staff
See your Resident Adviser or Resident Director

Community Standards and Student Conduct
447 Schmitz Hall
Phone: 206-685-6194

Office of the Vice President and Vice Provost for Student Life
101 Gerberding Hall
Phone: 206-543-4972

University Ombudsman
339 Husky Union Building (HUB)
Phone: 206-543-6028

University Complaint, Investigation and Resolution Office
4311 11th Avenue NE, Suite 630
Phone: 206-616-2028/TTY 206-616-4797